Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Years! I'm a little behind...

Yep! We're still alive and kicking. We have had a busy week and I haven't had time to post anything. It's been a nice change from our usually slow pace around here.

Christmas was great and pretty uneventful. Santa was good to everyone and Matt and I enjoyed watching the kids play all day with their new toys. The Rowland's eventually arrived, after a disappointing delay in the airport. They didn't get to come until a day later than we anticipated. This resulted in a quick overnight trip to Frankfurt for the whole family... I won't go into detail, but it was a fun and unexpected event.

After the Rowlands arrived and we had our Christmas, Matt and I headed off to London again for 2 nights alone. It was fantastic! I am becoming quite the nervous flier in my old age. It used to not bother me, but ever since Matt and I had a scary flight out of Miami a few years ago, I am a basket case. It seems to be getting worse and worse and I am already dreading my flight back to the states this summer. Maybe, with 3 kids it will keep my mind occupied!

London was as much fun this time as it was the first. We got to go inside and tour Westminster Abbey which was fascinating to me. I did not realize the number of tombs in that place! It was fascinating to see the chair the kings have been crowned on and the alter where Princess Diana's casket laid. I vividly remember watching that on tv, several years ago. We lived in South Carolina at the time and were childless. The rest of the trip was spent browsing through the enormous shops. I've never seen so much shopping with such a HUGE department store. Not one... but several. You can get lost in these places and they put Macy's (in NY) to shame. Incredible! The other highlight was going to see the play Chicago. I loved it and Matt enjoyed it to. I'm so glad we got to do that. I was amazed at the number of people in jeans and sweatshirts, as Matt and I were dressed up and looking snazzy. I wish we had some pictures without our coats on but it was just too cold. We ended the trip with the beautiful display of fireworks over the London Eye. It was crowded, but really very calm. I anticipated a lot of drunken behavior, but really did not see too much. However, the morning we left part of the Underground was closed due to a person underneath a train. I'm guessing that may have had to do with a full night of partying for somebody...

We came back to the house being in tact and the kids were all kicking. Oh, did I mention that before we left we spent the day at the doctor with Jordyn who had a bladder infection? It was the first one since her stint in the hospital when we first moved here. I certainly didn't want to end up back in the hospital. She got antibiotics and is doing much better. Nana and Pops took good care of all three of them. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Yesterday, we took a train to Koln, Germany so that the Rowlands got to see at least one new thing this trip. You really must stay longer next year! It was great fun, despite Jordyn having one of those lovely cranky days. The boys made up for her.

2008 has come and gone and we have a lot to be thankful for. It was a fun year of traveling (Garmich, Germany, Holland, Paris - 3 times, Normandy, London). The kids adjusted nicely to their new school and we have been fortunate to have had family come to visit on a fairly regular basis. 2009 is going to be a big year for our family, as many of you know Matt is deploying again this spring. I'm sure there will be many trials and tribulations, but I know we will make it through. Thank you, God for a wonderful year!

I know the slide show is long. Sorry... I just have so many pictures!

4 comments:

The Traxsons said...

I love all of the pictures - and I think you and Jordyn are precious in your matching pj's!

Terri said...

That was a lot of post and a lot of pictures! Glad things have settled down a little bit, so that you can get back to the world of blogging. Hayden's guitar shirt looks like it swallows him! I stood in Target debating about sizes for half an hour. Oh well, he'll grow into it. Maybe you should get him lifting weights - he needs to bulk up! Haha, just kidding.

The Giffords said...

Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

Jason & Stacy said...

love the pj's.