Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Birthday, Derek!


I don't talk about my big brother all that much, so I thought I would tribute a post especially to him. Happy Birthday, Derek!

Growing up, Derek and I didn't have much in common and weren't the closest of siblings. He was all boy, into a little trouble at times and I was the pesky little goody tooshoo's sister. His idea of fun was to pick on me, by talking my little sister into helping him. Don't get me wrong, we always loved each other, but as we grew older something changed.

We both got married so we had that in common. Matt and I lived in SC and before we knew it, my brother was living in NC. I was SO happy to have some family within driving distance! We drove to visit each other on occasion, and our dogs were good buddies. Then, we started having kids and moved away but that was all we needed to stay a part of each other. Every since then, we have talked on the phone and spent time with each others families, when possible. He was a lot of help to me at times, when we were living in Little Rock and I really miss him and his family. We didn't see each other constantly, but I loved knowing he was a short 30 minute drive through Little Rock if I needed anything or just wanted to spend some time with him.

Derek and Shannon are truly, two of the most generous people I know. Yes, as most of you know Shannon is a radiologist so they are able to be generous. However, they were generous BEFORE she starting making any money. They both have good hearts and have always tried to help out when they could. I remember my brother handing my a $100 at my wedding reception and told me to "Eat some place good tonight." Of course, they had already given me a very generous wedding present at a shower. That was when they were living in a small apartment and Shannon was still in medical school. Not to mention, they got a speeding ticket on they way down to my wedding rehearsal and I never even knew until a few years later.

Derek's always a great hosts and LOVES to cook. He's an excellent one at that, I might add and I wish he was my own personal chef. My whole family enjoys going to Derek and Shannon's for all the good food!!! He's a stay at home dad now, with two children whom I adore. I love that he teaches in VBS and takes them to their various events. What a good daddy.

I know I don't tell you often, but I love you big brother!!! Happy Birthday.

Oh, and I'm ashamed to say I was trying to figure out how old he was and I couldn't remember how old I was. So yes, I had to calculate from my birthdate to figure my age so I could figure his. I know, I'm getting old. He's 38 and I'm 33. I think.

The picture of him is with Jordyn when she was just a tiny little thing.

3 comments:

derek said...

ow sweet. I knew it was going to be a good day when the ladies at the pool sang me 'happy birthday'!
I read your post during my birthday party. I made all of the ladies come read it... I was so proud. A few tissues and teary eyes later, we all agreed how lucky we all really are. As usual, I couldn't have said it better myself. I read the post to Caroline and Nicholas and they're helping me type this response. I love you too!

Your Big Brother

Terri said...

Boo, he didn't come read mine!!

Sisters said...

Tell Derek Happy Birthday from me too!
I still have the pillowcase to a set of Bambi sheets that our babysitter gave us when we were 3 or 4. When I see it in the closet I sometimes think of Derek.
Happy Birthday! 38 sure does seem old!!! Julie