Thursday, July 24, 2008

R.I.P Tutti

Tutti = pacifier in our house. She named it this after being around a little girl who lived down the street who called hers tutti. I later found out that this is the Finnish word for pacifier. Her grandmother is Finnish.

So, back to tutti. I've been saying it for months now, but I actually went through with it today. Jordyn is VERY attached to these soothers sent from heaven. They are an answer to a few minutes of calmness in the house for a lot of babies. I've dreaded this day from the time I let her have them, but I convinced Matt it would be worth it for the time we have WITH it. Now, I'm asking myself was it really worth it?? I still say yes. Remind me of this tomorrow, and the next day, and the next.

I had been trying to cut back on the day usage of Tutti and done quite well only giving it to her at night. Then, we had a round of sickness and I had a bad day and before I knew it she had them 24/7 again because I caved. I did some research online, knowing I have to rid her of it soon and made the decision to cut tutti. I let her have her last nap with it today, and as she slept I tried to find all of them in the house and snipped the top off. The boys thought it was a funny game, that is until we had to share them with Jordyn.

She did well this afternoon, but began asking for them as usual. I finally let Landen give the new broken tutti to her outside as we were all lounging on the trampoline. I had already scolded the boys for laughing at this game and warned them she would be sad. Sure enough, she was not pleased. She took a look and then tried her best to cram it into her mouth for a suck. She finally got mad and threw it and began to cry. This went on for just a little bit as I assured her it would be ok. While still on the trampoline, I look over at my boys and they both have tears streaming from their eyes. They do have a heart, after all! In turn, I shed a few tears myself and by this point Jordyn was laughing and jumping again.

I'm not really sure who we're having to break of tutti. Jordyn or me? I know the next few days will be tough so keep us in your prayers. I feel like I'm losing my baby so fast. I know she's my last so I'm taking everything to heart. I think I have too much time on my hands.

It's gonna be a long night tonight, I'm afraid.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

We did the same thing with Tyler's "Baa"... After we cut off the tip, and he wasn't soothed, he was p.o.ed for a while, then he would look at them and throw them down!!! I hope you have a good night!

Jason & Stacy said...

AHH!! Well let me tell you Jolee, thank GOD for them and that you can cut them or throw them away, because you know my Peyton has his thumb and starting 3rd grade and still sucks away on it, I have tryed everything, hot sauce, the wrapping it, still no luck, do you think I can just cut it off?? J/J. I just wish he could have took a tutti. Give me some advise on this PLEASE!! Don't laugh to hard on this one girl.
Good Luck with it. I think Jordyn will forget in a matter of days. hang in there.

The Traxsons said...

good luck! i know how hard it is. i was going to cut sam's too until we had the idea of giving it to our friend's baby. i almost think cutting it would have been better because it would have been HIS decision to get rid of it since it wouldn't work anymore. oh well...sam did get over it and so will jordyn! i hope you get some sleep. that was my biggest worry - that i'd never sleep again! he still talks about it sometimes.