Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hello, Again!!!




Well, as Matt told you, this last week did NOT go as expected. There's nothing like throwing me into the German culture than to put me in a hospital with everyone speaking German! I learned lots of German words in that little amount of time. To make a long story short, Jordyn is home and doing well. Her kidney infection is cleared and she received good care. She is still on antibiotics and has to return in 4 weeks for a test to see if she has reflux. I had this as a child and so does my niece. I had surgery at a very young age, but now they treat it differently and a lot of children grow out of it. Her ultrasounds indicated she may have reflux too, but they won't know for sure until she has the other test. (It is NOT a pleasant test either - I have done it as an adult and its awful! I remember thinking I would rather be having a baby)

As far as the hospital and doctors they were all fairly nice. Their bed side manner is not the best, but they are usually helpful. The biggest problem I had was with my bottles. They either brought them to me scalding hot or freezing cold, couldn't get the amount right, took about 45 minutes to get them to me after I asked and they lost a bottle. Anyway, there's more to it than that, but you get the idea. All the doctors spoke English to some degree which really helped. My first roommate was a German woman who had been married to an American some time ago so she helped translate. My second roommate was an American from the same AFB so I could actually talk to her, lol. Anyway, German medicine calls for extended periods of time in the hospital - unlike in the states. They want you to stay and stay - I had to BEG a few days before they agreed to let me leave. The boys were very emotional about it all and school started on Monday for Landen. I had only been here a week at the time and I wanted out of that krankenhaus (hospital)!!!! Daddy did a great job bringing me clothes, food, and taking care of the boys.

Speaking of school, Landen had his first day of school! He is in the 3rd grade and his school is really nice. He has had a great week so far, but is having a hard time waking up in the mornings. They have a full computer lab - plus 4 computers in each classroom, a huge library, an art/music/PE/German teacher that they rotate each day. I think it will be a nice switch from what we came from! I have already gotten more information in the first week than the whole year in Jacksonville.

I'm attaching a few pictures of the hospital and Landen going to school, as well as one of our house. Obviously, the pictures of the inside of my house will still be coming. I still have boxes everywhere and am working on getting it all set up. We've ordered some furniture from Belgium but it will be 10 weeks before we get it. We are also waiting on some storage for the kitchen.

Thank you for ALL of your comments and emails. I learned that a lot of people actually read this blog!!! That's good to know. Oh - congrats to my sister for getting a job. She is now officially a tax lawyer. And a special thanks to Nana for flying out to help us during our "trying" time last week. I appreciate all the dish washing, nights at the hospital, and walks with the kids. We love you!

OH! One more thing - Happy Birthday to my nephew Connor! The boys miss you and wish they were there to celebrate with you!! Happy 6th!

I'm having problems getting my pictures to post - I got a few, but will try the others later.

3 comments:

Jason & Stacy said...

Glad to here everything is good.

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear everyone is starting to settle in a bit. What an adventure you have had already!

The Traxsons said...

I'm so glad you're home again and Jordyn is doing well. I'm happy to hear that Landen is having a good time at his new school!