Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Taxes & Books - sound exciting?

Well, I just e-filed our tax return so I hope I didn't make any errors. It always makes me nervous when I hit that little button. My sister reminded me that I can always amend it if I need to, but I definitely don't want to deal with that. In case you are wondering, yes we are receiving a refund so I'm happy!

On another exciting note, lets talk books. Anyone read any good ones lately? I have always liked to read an occasional book, but seem to have a hard time starting new ones. Things changed once we moved here and Matt and I have taken to reading. Lots of it! I think it is mostly due to our lack of television shows over here. I've already lost count of how many I've read in the last few months and am searching for new ones that I might be interested in.

I like "light" easy, romantic reading. Nothing that makes me REALLY have to think. I love Nicholas Sparks books and have read most of them. I loved "The Pilots Wife" and the Sophia Kinsella "Shopaholic" series, along with John Grisham (haven't read any recent ones of his). I also like an occasional mystery for something different. I very rarely read biographies or nonfiction, but I'm open to suggestions. I just finished "Dear John" and "Celebrity Detox" which I had gotten for Christmas.

Anyone have any good suggestions for me? Oh, I've also ordered "Eat, Pray, Love." I'll let you know if I like it.

Get busy on your taxes if you haven't already!! April 15 is just around the corner.

7 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

hey, for Doug's sake I wish April 15th was tomorrow, it is tough around the house this time of year. anyway, try Karen Kingsbury--all her books are great and also Terry Blackstock and Dee Henderson. There is a series of Dee Henderson books about brothers and sisters that is awesome, I just can't remember the name of the series.

Mandy said...

I was just about to recommend Karen Kingsbury! Awesome! You need to start from the beginning of the Redemption series though. They are so, so good. I can't put them down.

Greg, Kristy, and John Lleyton said...

My favorite authors are Anita Shreve and Sue Grafton. Try anything by them. I LOVE The Pilots Wife. One DEEP read that you might like is Infidel. Girl I am an avid reader so I have a long list for you if you ever want it!

Shannon said...

I also love Nicholas Sparks books! I read "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin a few months ago and really liked them. It's a light read with a little bit of romance.

The Traxsons said...

Ahh, books (other than those of the toddler variety) I so miss them! I haven't read one in forever. I have read the first shopaholic book and undomestic goddess, but not that recently. one of my fave books was angels & demons. And sorry, but I can't always stomach the N Sparks books. WAY too freakin' sad and depressing. I literally had to stop reading the notebook years ago when i read it, however i really liked the guardian...

Matt and Jolee said...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will look into them. Especially those that were mentioned by more than one of you :)

Mitzi - some Nicholas Sparks are harder than others. The Choice and Dear John were good too, since you liked The Guardian. They seem to be a little lighter :)

I'm going to look into some of these. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jolee! Just ran across your blog via my SIL's... (Michele). Anyway, since you have access to an APO, have you ever found bookmooch? It's a great way to trade your old books for new reading (and there are a lot of romances, since those are often 1X reads).