Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Fun



Happy Father's Day Dad, Pops and Matt! I love you all.

Last week was a little long and emotional for all of us. School ended, a best friend moved away, and there was an unexpected death of a friend. Not a close friend, but a friend with 3 children and a daddy left behind to pick up the pieces. There are other things that I won't go into, but I think you get the image around here.

That being said, I got a Father's Day present. Huh? Yep. Matt came bopping through the door with my Saturday morning cup of coffee, handed me a bouquet of fresh flowers and told me Happy Father's Day. "Thank you for making me a father." How sweet is that? It made my week. And, he knew I had experienced a long one.

So, Happy Father's day to my dear hubby! I love you. He didn't get too much of a celebration this morning. His present that I had ordered May 23 didn't arrive. This is part of living overseas that's not so much fun. There's not much to choose from here, and if your going to a German store you'll pay almost double what you pay online. Anyway, I cooked him pancakes and bacon and then we were off to Trier for a policeman sports day.

A few from Matt's office participated and it was a lot of fun. Basically, there are 5 events that have to be passed and then you qualify for some German medal. At least, that's what we think took place. Matt started out with the high jump. Keep in mind, he's never done this before and its in front of a bunch of people who don't speak the same language. Has the potential to be a little embarrassing, to say the least! He did it though. He got 3 tries and did it. Then, they measured wrong and he actually had to have it up a little higher to qualify so he had to do it all over again. He cleared it the second time. Since he qualified in the high jump, he didn't have to participate in the long jump. Whew!

Onto the shotput. He had to clear 8m and he cleared 8.45 the first attempt. When they asked him if he wanted to try again to improve his score (since he'd already passed) he replied "No, my shoulder is already hurting." lol For those of you who don't know, he really does have a bad shoulder that pops out on occasion. I think it was a wise choice he made.



After that, came the sprints. They had one shot at passing 100 meters in 14 seconds. He took 14.8. Rats! So, that was the end of our day. He didn't participate in the long run (which would have been his strong point) and swim. He has until December 31 to go back and complete the sprints to get the medal. We were all really proud of him and thought he did great considering he hadn't trained for any of this stuff and made it 1/2 way through. The boys enjoyed watching and playing some events of their own.





Happy Father's Day all you dads out there! Enjoy.

2 comments:

Greg, Kristy, and John Lleyton said...

Happy Fathers Day Matt! You are a great daddy and husband!

Jolee, miss you!

Kristy

The Traxsons said...

Ok, Matt so gets Husband of the Year for that one! I think that's the sweetest thing I've ever heard!

And it doesn't surprise me a bit that he did so well on those events :) Jolee, I hope you have a much better week this week. I love you and wish I were there to hug you!