Thursday, October 2, 2008

Paris Trip, Day 2

I'm trying to get all this posted because Jordyn's birthday is next week, I want to post soccer pictures at some point and we are heading to London in a week so I'll have even more to share!

Day 2: Let me see what I can remember. First and foremost, we slept in. Yep! We slept until 8:20 I think. It was the first time in a LONG time that I was in bed at my leisure and could get up when I wanted, so I took advantage. We got ready and were on our way by about 9:30. First stop was the Eiffel Tower. I've posted many pictures of it before so I'll refrain on this post. The sun was in our way that morning so we had to return for more pictures later anyway.

We then headed on foot to the Champs Elysee and ate at Lauderee. It was delicious! Thanks for the recommendation, Jill. I enjoyed a scrumptious breakfast and Terri got a sandwich. It was so much fun sitting in that little cafe and watching people while enjoying our food. Hot chocolate came with my breakfast, and can I just say it was a pure chocolate bar melted into a cup.R I C H, but delicious. I had to share it with Terri because I couldn't finish it. This was one of my favorite things we did. We also indulged in some macaroons later in the day, which I highly recommend.


I forgot to mention that on our way to the Champs Elysee, we passed right by the tunnel that Princess Diana was in her fatal wreck. I had wanted to find this and had been near it before, but never stopped and realized it was the actual tunnel - Pont De l'Alma.




Afterwards, we headed to the Louvre. It is enormous on the outside, and even bigger once you get in that place! I am not much of a museum lover, but I really wanted to see the Mona Lisa. We headed inside, and went straight to it. Afterward, I just followed Terri wherever she wanted to go because she loves this stuff. Are we really sisters? Yes. Apparently, we are. Anyway, she would have LOVED to stay longer, but the descriptions were not written in English so this sped up the tour significantly. We walked in that place for 2 1/2 straight hours and still did not see it all. I enjoyed it a little more than I thought I would and I tried not to rush her too much. Her story will probably be different... :) Oh, and I tripped and about made a huge scene in there! I almost fell into some glass... I'm talking, it was NOT a graceful shake it off trip. It was a clumsy stumble over an elevated surface that I about killed myself on and other people laughed! As did I.

As far as the Mona Lisa, I had been told it was very small. So, I expected a tiny painting on the wall - like an 8x10 or something. I was happily surprised when we got there because it was bigger than I anticipated. It hung alone on a wall in the middle of the room. Of course, people were everywhere and you had to fight your way up for a better look. We kind of stayed back and took what pictures we could.


After the Louvre, we headed to Notre Dame. We were both exhausted at this point from all the walking. We snipped at each other a time or two, but never got too angry with each other. After a coke for each of us we both perked up and went on well into the evening. I had been to Notre Dame, but not gone inside. The line was always very long, however this day it wasn't too bad and it moved quickly. Once we got inside, it was beautiful but looked very similar to the cathedrals in Trier and Koln that I have posted before. Nonetheless, I was happy to go inside and we enjoyed sitting in the cathedral for a little R and R.




We stopped at a few shops after this and were on a quest to find Terri's Hard Rock Cafe Paris pin. She has a collection and was determined to get one in Paris. Whew. She better enjoy that pin! Along our way, we found a whole new shopping district full of the locals. We then found the "china town" of Paris. It was dark by this point and we had to get the GPS out of our bag for some help. Our journey was interesting and I'll just leave it at that. We eventually got to Hard Rock and then found the Opra House which was right down the street. It was beautiful! We just happened to catch a glimpse of it on our way to Hard Rock so that was an added bonus to our pin quest.



We got back to the hotel around 10:30 that night and crashed... that bed never felt so good! One more day to post.

1 comment:

Terri said...

Squeak, squeak, squeak.