Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veteran's Day!


I usually don't post anything for this holiday. Today, however I feel I should. Happy Veteran's Day to my husband, and any other Veterans out there that read this.

The military has brought a lot of positive things to our family. I tend to focus on a lot of the negative and thought I would share some of the positives for a change. Growing up, I decided I wasn't going to marry anyone in the military OR a police officer. HA! God showed me, right? I got a double whammy... military AND law enforcement (OSI.) Ok. So, that taught me not to make decisions too soon and never say never. That was lesson #1 learned.

I could go into detail about story after story and lesson after lesson, but I won't. The military has been good to us, overall. Yes, it has its ups and downs, but overall I can't complain. We have gotten to travel and see the world, have free gym memberships, and make new friends all over the US. If it wasn't for the military, I wouldn't have my special friends that I still keep in contact with. I've learned not to count my chickens before they hatch and not to worry about things until they actually happen. Well, I'm still learning that part.

I've gotten to buy/rent a new house every few years which calls for new decorations. I've been lucky enough to stay home with my kids, and my husband has ALWAYS supported me. I've had wonderful support from my family and friends as well. I have proven to myself, that I am a fairly strong person even though if you know me, I cry at the drop of a hat. I've also been fortunate enough for my husband to be with me through all 3 births of our children. A lot of military families are not so lucky.

I'm thankful we have men and women who sacrifice their lives for our country. Matt, I don't tell you enough, but I am VERY proud to call you my husband. While I don't understand someone "wanting" to go to war, I have come to understand it takes a special person. You are one of those and I love you. Now, I'm trying to take one of those lessons learned about not worrying until it happens, but I already fear the time which is coming when you will leave us again to head off to Afghanistan in the Spring. We have gotten through so much together, and I know we will get through another deployment. It will make us stronger, right honey?

4 comments:

Greg, Kristy, and John Lleyton said...

Matt and Jolee,...Happy Veterans Day to both of you....you are both soldiers!

karaandgregheim said...

Hey Joe Lee this is Greg Heim. Thanks for the comment and it was so good to hear from you. My parents will like it too. A quick update: Eric is in Med School at UAMS (gonna be an Orthopedic Surgeon like dad), Drew works at a Marketing Firm in Fayetteville, Matthew is an English Major about to graduate and is an um free spirit. Annalise is living and working in Fort Smith and Addison we're pretty sure is a little prodigy. Apparently Trinity isn't challenging her. I'm in Medical Device Sales and Kara works for Pfizer. My parents are great and as you can see Gavin is our little superstar. We'll attach your blog and keep up and again it was good to hear from you. Tell your husband thank you for his service by the way especially on a day like this. If you meet any Heims over there be sure to say hello for us.

Jason & Stacy said...

WHAT? You have to go again in 09. How long will this be?? My friends husband here has been gone for 6 months. He should get back b/4 christmas.
You are right Jolee, the military are our heros. Thank you.

Mandy said...

Hey Jolee, email me at beckerfive@sbcglobal.net with you email- I have set our blog to private, but enjoy keeping in touch with you through blogging and have to have your email to include you! :)