Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In With a Bang!

Here are a few pictures from the first day of school. Landen started on Monday and had a good day. He came home with the assumption that his teacher is STRICT! I have talked to some other parents (teachers included) and found out that this is true. However, I've heard great things about her and it will do Landen some good to have her, I'm sure. The most I have gotten out of him about his school days is how many girls like him. I'm getting daily reports on this subject. Seriously, 4th grade? Good thing you don't actually "talk" to the girl you like and you spend recess hiding from them! I go to Open House next week, so maybe I'll find out a little more about the actual curriculum. I know it includes rotational art, music, PE and computer lab. Plus, 4th grade has to meet keyboarding requirements by the end of the year which I love.


Hayden hasn't officially started, but he did get to go to kindergarten orientation. I was thrilled with his teacher right from the beginning and the fact that there is a full time assistant with her. She is very enthusiastic and been teaching 20 plus years. His class will be jungle animals all year, complete with hibernation (pj days in the winter) and migration (graduation) at the end of the year. She is organized beyond belief. The class also has a smart board that is taller than I am, if you can believe that. The kids will get to use it on a daily basis, including logging in their lunches and attendance. Technology, huh? It's great. We also had a home visit today where she came for about 30 minutes and talked to us. Hayden was a little shy, but answered most of his questions correct. I found out he doesn't know where he lives (he said AR), nor does he know he has an ankle or a jaw. When she left, I asked him where he lives and of course he replies Germany. Oh well. We arent' going to be able to go into the classroom on the first day by the request of the teacher, so I'm glad I had snuck my camera in my purse. Here's one picture of him in his new kindergarten room. I'll have more to post of him outside next week.



The only bump we've had was literally, a bump. During the orientation, the TA took the kids to the other room, while his teacher spoke to the parents. When I went to pick him up, his eye was red with a cut and was swelling! He had tripped over the rug and hit the chair. He must have landed hard because it is still bruising, now inside the corner of his eye and its been 2 days since it happened. The teacher said he didn't cry, but I could tell he was really embarrassed and flustered when he saw me. He told me he cried a few tears quietly. Poor thing! I don't think she realized how bad it was. After some ice at home, it looked better... He's all worried it won't be healed by next week. He was, however very excited to tell Landen when he got off the bus about how he got a black eye. Way to start with a bang.




I can't post without a picture of Jordy Pordy Pipers. This weeks antics include getting into the spices in the pantry (after smelling horrific garlic breath) and penciling the stairwell. I think I need a cage. LOL j/k Matt, see the rose bush on the side of the house? It's starting to bloom, finally.



Only 4 more days until my sister comes to visit me. I can't wait!

4 comments:

The Traxsons said...

How cute is it that Hayden couldn't wait to tell Landen about his eye?! I love that! Oh my - I think a cage might be necessary for Jordyn! She is cracking me up with all that she gets into. I LOVED the mascara picture :)

I'm sure you are very excited about Terri coming to visit!

amy said...

love it, all of it! girls, funny! tripping over the rug, such a pride squelcher, but having the black eye, total chick magnet! jordy pordy, lovin' the nicknames! how much longer till the man is back? we onlly have 1 week! Lord help my sanity!

Matt and Jolee said...

We still have about 3 1/2 weeks, but honestly, this 6 weeker hasn't phased me too much. When we first got in the military I would have been like, 6 weeks!! Now, I'm like, ahh... only 6 weeks, not too big a deal. Funny how your perspective changes, especially after they deploy... I know you can relate, Amy.

Jason & Stacy said...

That is great, everything seems to be ok. We are calming down here too. I am hoping no more injuries for a while, but we will see. The first game for David is Thrus. and Peyton's is Sat. Oh yea, he is the quarterback and is so happy. This is good for him.