Monday, February 23, 2009

Step 1, Complete.




We broke down and told the kids about Matt's upcoming deployment. We've debated and dreaded about when to tell them. We didn't want to tell them too soon, for fear of them having so much worry for such an extended amount of time. On the other hand, we wanted them to have enough time to digest it and spend some quality family time with Dad before he leaves.

I'm not sure why I was so fearful of telling them. Landen is older this time around and really understands how it will all play out. Maybe that's why. We were eating lunch and decided to spill it. Landen's reaction was pretty upbeat. We quickly followed the announcement with, "but we are going to AR" this summer for a long time! He sat there, Matt left the table and then I could see the wheels spinning in his head. He looked at me with big tears in his eyes and said, "but I thought they only had to go one time and dad already went." Unfortunately, as I fought back tears I had to share with him that some moms and dads have gone several times and we are lucky it is only for 6 months and not a full year.

Hayden's reaction was , "oh... man!" Then, he was off to play. He can't grab that concept of it yet, and he doesn't remember him being gone when he was 2 years old. I'll have more of an issue with him, when it all actually transpires. We calculate time by how many sleeps we have until an event. Matt explained it will be 180 sleeps.... that's the best way we can explain it to him now.

Jordyn, of course, has no clue. She doesn't understand. It's going to break my heart because she looks for daddy to come in the door every day. She asks for him the minute she wakes up and wants to know where daddy is a lot. Every time he leaves for a trip and comes back, she sits by him and hugs him and won't let him out of her sight. She's like his own personal stalker! I wonder what she will do after not 2 or 3 weeks of distance, but 6 months.

We'll get through it as every other family does. It's the same worries and fears that thousands of other mothers face, so I know I'm not alone. I don't have to like it though. Now, onto the next steps. We have wills to update, power of attorneys to get, issues to discuss, presents to figure out for Matt to give the kids before he leaves, car registrations to update, and my list is continually growing. The stress begins along with the anticipation of it. It's all starting to roll.... like it or not.

9 comments:

Jason & Stacy said...

Man Jolee, I really feel for you. You are a STRONG woman and I am blessed to know you. I know you will get through this. You and the kids will get to come to the states to have all your family and friends around you in this time. I love you.

Mark and Courtney said...

Oh how so many take the lives and services of military men and women, as well as their families, for granted. My family will be praying for you and yours. In all sincerity, thank you for everything you guys go through so that we can live in such an awesome country. Hope your time in Arkansas makes 6 months feel like 1! :)

The Traxsons said...

Just think about how strong your kids are going to be as adults! They have such great role models in you and Matt. I will be praying for all of you!

Brandy said...

My heart is with you today! I know it's so hard to face all that stuff and the worry along with all the stress... not fun. You guys are in my prayers too! Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Many years ago I went through just about the same thing. My husband was leaving for Viet Nam and I was pregnant with Julie. I am so sorry that you are having to do this again. I will be thinking of you lots during this time. I am sure I will see you at church while you are here in Ft Smith. Stay strong.

Kathy Davis

Greg, Kristy, and John Lleyton said...

Jolee, I hope when you are here it makes the time go by faster. I will be praying that your mind stays full of positive thoughts while he is gone. I know, I know, it will be hard. I have only experienced a smidgen of what you have ever gone through. But that smidgen make me ache for you and realize more and more how INCREDIBLY AWESOME you are. Military wives ROCK!

Matt and Jolee said...

Thank you all for the sweet comments!

amy said...

girl, you know i feel your pain, just like you felt mine. it's amazing how kids are able to live in the day to day, while we worry about the what-if's, the remember whens, and oh Lord help me's! i'm praying for y'all! will you come to the states?

- said...

Hi Jolee, Bob Rowan here, Cassandra's husband...

Give those sweeties an extra hug and kiss every night, and tell Matt to come home safe.

Godspeed, and thank you for your service.

Bob