Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Hubby!

I got this picture from Matt today. I've been encouraging him to take as many pictures as he can because usually I am the one with the camera. He has sent me a couple and I'm looking forward to seeing some more when he gets home. I asked him if I could put this on the blog and I got the ok from him. So, "here is Matt in his current location." ha! That's about all I can say. He looks good, doesn't he? Can't wait to give him a big hug and kiss in a few weeks.


Earlier in the week, I was thinking about how it used to be for wives years ago compared to now. I know that I have the better end of the deal with the internet, email, cell phones, texting and not having to rely on snail mail. However, I was wondering if sometimes it backfires to have all these things at a touch of a button.

Back when wives didn't hear from their husbands often it was a constant wonder in their heads as to where their spouses were were, what they were doing, were they safe? They were really in the dark. However, in todays world many of us hear from our husbands very often. Like, daily. So, when a few days go by and we don't hear from them... we begin to panic. This has happened a few times since he has been gone. I heard from Matt on Wednesday morning, I think. Then, nothing... nothing all day Thursday... I begin to panic and send him emails, no response. I tried to keep busy by cleaning my house, (though you wouldn't know it by looking at it.) Nothing. My mind begins to wander... and I try not to let it go there. But it does, and I play out everything in my head. How would I react if service members came to my door and knocked? Then, on Friday, I get a call from him. Now my mind can relax until it happens again. And it will, I'm certain.

It's also funny how time flies when its other friends spouses that are gone. Wow... only a few weeks and they'll be back, that time flew right by! But, when it's your own family, it feels like an eternity. Everyone gets busy in their everyday lives and time starts ticking.... to everyone else. I really can't complain as our summer did fly by us. We were almost too busy, but we loved every minute of it. However at home and in our own setting, we see Matt's clothes, his place at the dinner table, his car, his office and it's a constant reminder that he is not here with us. I think back to when he left and it seems like so long ago. Think back to where you were April 30. What have you done since then? I think of baseball season, Hayden's kindergarten graduation, a summer full of trips and fun and family, the beginning of 1st grade and middle school, Hayden losing his first tooth, Jordyn talking absolutely nonstop and forming such long sentences, and soccer season. It seems like he's missed so much.

I say all this, to tell you that if you know of a family who is going through a deployment, it means so much to them to give a few words of encouragement. What a nice surprise to get a card in the mail or a spontaneous phone call from an old friend. It doesn't take a lot of effort, and means the world to them. I'm guilty of not doing it and I am living it. I try to, but sometimes life gets in the way.

Thank you all for your kind words these last several months! We're almost there... I've got a sick kid calling my name so I best close.


1 comment:

The Traxsons said...

again, i'm so late on this, but i just wanted to give you a big hug after reading this. i know that i couldn't do what you do and i admire you so much for it! i'm just glad that as i type this matt is on his way home to you!!!