Saturday, September 5, 2009

School and Anniversaries!



My mother in law has been encouraging a new post and I told her I didn't know what to blog about! We're kind of boring right now. We're not traveling. Our big excitement is going to the BX and commissary, soccer practice and figuring out what to cook for dinner.

We did have a great first week of school! Landen and Hayden both seem to like their teachers and they seem to be adjusting nicely. It was a BIG jump for Landen because 5th grade begins middle school here. So, to my disappointment Landen and Hayden were only in the same school for one year. Anyway, the middle school involves lockers with combination locks, various teachers, 8 classes, school dances, beginning band, an a la carte line at lunch and more. It's quite an adjustment from elementary school. So far, so good. Here's a picture of them on their first day. The parents go with the 5th graders through out the whole first day to help them get organized and adjusted.

On another note, I found something involving some German culture to share with you. In Germany, they have a neat tradition for their "big" wedding anniversary years. We've watched across the street and through the window at the celebration of one. Only, at the time we weren't sure what it was all about. Now, our landlords are having their celebration next weekend and we were invited.

First, two "Christmas Trees" appear outside their doors with a cute little sign and with the appropriate garnishments (silver for 25.) These stay there for a few weeks until they hold their own party. Our landlords have invited Matt and I, though we can't take kids and I'm not sure I'll have a babysitter to go. However, I bought them a little present to take over and wish Matt was here to go see what it was all about. Anyway, back to the celebration. On the night of the party (the one I was invited to is a garden party and I'm still trying to figure out the rest of the invitation!), everyone will gather outside their house and bring their noise makers. They will shake and rattle them until the couple will come out the door and everyone takes pictures and congratulates them. Then, they will head to dinner or come into the house for the party.

Isn't it cute??

I'm not sure what else takes place, but I may add some more knowledge to this after next weekend. I've got word out and have got to find us a new teenage babysitter, but have had no luck so far. I'll keep you posted if I get to go. Don't hold your breath!

One last note... I need to mow, but it's too wet. The summer has left and the cold dreary rain is setting in. We're enjoying the last few rays of sunshine we will see for a long while and are noticing a few leaves are already starting to change. I think I'm actually ready for the fall this year.

1 comment:

Jason & Stacy said...

hey, you took me off of your friends blog. have you given up on me. lol