Sunday, May 25, 2008

Happy Anniversary!


I'm seeing how many post I can name "Happy" something in a row. It's becoming a challenge! Not really, it's just happening that way. I promise my next post won't say "Happy " in the title.

So, today is mine and Matt's 12 year anniversary. Honestly, we dated for 5 years, so it seems like its been a little longer to me. Technically, I guess our first date was 17 years ago because yes, our first date was even on May 25! It just happened that way.... I won't get all mushy and gushy, but Matt - you know I love you more than anything in the world! Well, maybe next in line to the 3 munchkins downstairs which made us become a family. Despite the 6 moves within 12 years, I wouldn't change a thing. :-)

We normally buy each other something and try to go out on a date. However, here in Germany, shopping isn't the easiest. The exchange rate is terrible, so we order most stuff online. This being the case, you have to think well ahead in order to receive it in the mail by the special day. So, that being said, Matt and I both thought about it a little too late to do anything big. We both agreed, even shook hands, not to buy each other anything. Matt, don't get any ideas because I don't want this to become a habit. hee, hee. We did have a friend watch the kids last night. We drove down to Trier, did a little shopping for ourselves and ate a nice dinner together. The place was an "Amercianized" restaurant and get this - they gave us our very own bottle of ketchup on our table! This is huge around here because you actually have to order ketchup and they'll give you like one tiny packet. I got side tracked... We enjoyed ourselves together and I came home with a new purse and a couple of shirts and Matt did as well. Well, not a purse. But a few new shirts and a new jacket.

Oh, and get this. We did give each other our ritual card. There's not a lot of those to pick from either - at least not English ones that we can understand. You just have to get what you can. So, this morning, we both run and get our cards and hand to each other. If your like me, I always feel like I write the same thing every year. I love you... blah, blah, blah. So, this year I write "I love you and here's to 50 more years together!". Matt opens it and starts laughing as he hands me my card. "Open it, open it..." he laughs. Guess what his says, " I love you and can't wait for the next 50 years together." How funny is that!!???? Guess we are true soul mates.

4 comments:

Terri said...

Happy Anniversary! Here's to 50 more.....wait, I feel like that was already said.

The Traxsons said...

Happy Anniversary! I thought about you guys this morning when I realized what the date was :)

Anonymous said...

Jolee:
I just have to tell you this! I tune into your blog from time to time and show Olivia pictures of Hayden and your family and I happened to look today and saw the anniversary celebration! Happy Anniversary! The crazy thing is...Tracy and I were also married May 25, 1996!!!!! And we dated a little over 5 years before we were married. Unbelievable! (No huge celebration here either if it makes you feel any better!)

I can see that you all are doing well, I will look forward to hearing about Hayden starting back to school. I know he is excited. Please tell him hello from Olivia!

Tamara and Olivia Allen :-)

Jason & Stacy said...

Happy Anniversary a little late. We have had the computer off for a few days and I turned it on today. So glad you got to go out. I bet that was nice. Well, Here is to the next 50 years. lol